On Being Cynical

Its like people go through a lot of stuff I know. Sad, depressing things. Which God alone knows requires how much strength.
But you know what? There is so much beauty in innocence and hope.
On some levels perhaps its very wrong for me to say this. Mostly when I think of how being innocent could possibly lead you into more trouble. What with people taking advantage and all.
But the whole concept of still being the same, of not becoming bitter, in spite of all that you go through seems so precious to me.
I myself haven't gone through all that much to make such statements, but let's just say I admire it. :)

Thus, I try not to be a cynic. When I see or hear whatever is wrong with the world - and there is no dearth about these matters, I still believe it will be okay. Whenever someone tells me that a line of study should not be pursued because there is no money at the end of it, I still believe people should realize what they love and what they are good at, and just do it. At least you die trying. All this while I have this prickling thought at the back of my head. How I have it all so easy. I am studying something that is socially acceptable. I never had to battle anyone for it. Or about how my city is a home where crime does not rear its ugly head that often. How I am so lucky to have it all. To be in the Light. And how whatever I am saying would just roll off the back of a person who has seen just darkness.
I cannot fathom why some people lose every shred of humanity that they have (I hope they find their peace some day) and yet I want to believe, I still look at the people waging the good war, giving it their all. HONY helps me believe. :)
I remember the goodness of trees, the fragrance of flowers, the beauty of falling leaves and pink buds on trees, the deep desire to catch butterflies and the coolness of the grass and I know I don't want to lose this. I wished there was no child growing up believing otherwise.

Simply put -
It's a beautiful world and I refuse to be cynical. (Probably because I can afford to)
People may hurt and may disappoint but the world still seeks your goodness.
And one day, there will be no such word as naive, vulnerable or over idealistic to describe people like me.

All of this sounds very conflicted. Some things I hear about the ground realities shake me. But until one can, one should keep an open heart, an able one that can love. :)

PS - Ya, its not very well written and I have jumped around a lot and have been so unclear! :P

Comments

Popular Posts